Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

19 May 2006

"Young At Heart"

This song is quite difficult to sing, though that could be related to range, as well. My motivation has been very low this last week, which doesn't help.

Tomorrow I'm treating myself to a couple hours of yard saling alone. I grew up going to garage sales, yard sales, tag sales, flea markets--you name it--with my parents. I like to say that I was trained from birth, and it's actually true in this case. My parents still go out on a Saturday morning together to find treasures. When I'm feeling insecure for any reason, bargaining at a sale for some ridiculous price on some equally ridiculous unnecessary item, I pretend I'm my Dad: 'I'll give you two dollars for the whole box!' I have very fond memories of those adventures: buying the flute, bring home a free puppy ('Your mother is going to kill me'), supplying an entire kitchen when I got my first apartment.

These days I'm training my daughter, which is mostly backfiring thus far, since people tend to give her things just because she's cute. I tell her that she'll never learn to bargain this way, and she says that someday her own cuteness will wear off on a daughter of her own, who will then get free stuff. That does make it make sense, somehow.

I'm looking forward to being on my own tomorrow, a welcome gift from my husband, being in my own time and pace. It's a community sale, so that makes it a bit easier. Next week, though, I'm sure that I'll have my daughter with me once again, training her to be my navigator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter