Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

16 May 2006

"Wildwood Flower"

Singing this song made me want to hear all the recorded versions of it. It seems to hold some potential for interpretation. Because of long day working the primary election here in Pennsylvania, I was too beat during my lunch hour (at 4PM) to do more than sing through all five verses (the first one twice!). Also too tired to figure out what I thought of this song's potential for my own interpretation.

Because of the election, I got to spend the day rather pleasantly, oddly enough. Working the polls is a very, very long day, today I left home before 6AM, and except for a very brief stop home to let out the dog, didn't get home for good until after 9:30PM. And that was pretty good, considering new voting machines, and following the Judge of Elections to the final check-in spot--both because he needed the help carrying extra stuff, and because he's grooming me to be his replacement sometime soon.

Still, a good day, one that seemed to go more quickly than other Election Days. I always bring some handwork, today it was a couple of crocheted pin cushions that moved along quite quickly. I read some of my magazines, and got to chat very pleasantly with my fellow poll-workers, who are such lovely people that I continue to work at a polling station in a neighborhood that I moved out of seven years ago. My oldest, and one of my best friends (I've known her since we were five) also works with me as a more and more regular replacement worker, and it's great to see her and catch up a bit in the midst of our incredibly busy lives. The group of us rather shamelessly got someone to go out and get us donuts in the morning, and the new machines seemed to work flawlessly, so the day was just about perfect. Small and significant pleasures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter