Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

23 May 2006

"The Breeze and I"

This song is lovely, another that I would like to spend more time with. The vocal range of this one is perfect, exactly what I want to practice: going nicely low, but not neglecting the higher notes. It also has a nice sensuality about it, and rhythmically three against two is always fun. Ah.

While it's getting late, I know that all of you have been wondering what to get me for the upcoming Big Birthday.

Ok, that's fishing a bit. In reality, my party is the big thing for me, and I'd rather have my friends and family actually be here, than have them send a gift through the mail. Not that I'm against gifts either, though. I spend a lot of my time thinking about how to make the lives of my husband and daughter better, buying them food, clothing, books, toys, etc. I don't spend as much time or money on myself, in general, but in the past few years, at least, I've let this time around my birthday be a time to indulge myself slightly. Since this is a bigger birthday, I'm giving myself bigger indulgences.

In that spirit, I have put together a Wish List of Gifts For Me. Somehow, I haven't gotten around to sharing this with anyone at all, but that's mostly the result of what the process brought. As I put together this list, it occurred to me that I didn't really expect to receive much, or any, of what I asked for, but it pinpointed those personal desires that I couldn't justify in any other way. I realized that this list was mostly just for me, and that the things on it--things I didn't 'need', for the most part, but definitely wanted--were things that I would treat myself to in the coming year, if at all possible. Here's what I want, what I will treat myself to this year:

Sea Monkeys on the moon: What can I say, I like Sea Monkeys. I've had these silly things off and on since I was ten years old. I can't believe that they still sell them, but I'm a big fan of the newest tank that I saw. Oooooo, pretty concept, ooooo.

Business card case: I keep meaning to buy myself one of these, and I never can justify the cost. I could probably write it off, even. It's something that other people might see: what would my choice say about me?

Trip to St. John's: I had two fabulous vacations last year, both of which I'd love to do all over again. I'm trying very hard not to think about the lighthouse on the Norfolk coast, since we are not going there, though others are. This leaves St. John to be my fantasy: just possible enough to not be utterly frustrating.

Snorkeling gear: I want to be ready for my island trip, with better gear this time. The snorkeling was so amazing there, I never wanted to come to land.

Digital recorder: A couple of my friends have these, and the idea of recording digitally from something so small is intriguing. I see myself using this for family-history interviews, indulging my geeky genealogy habit.

Happy Hooker, by Debbie Stoller: My crocheting and knitting has been a fabulous escape of late. I'm still very involved with smaller projects, though my desire to return to larger things is growing quickly. I'm also impatient with the quantity of yarn I've been acquiring, I need to take a break and use a large portion of it. Somehow, though, I still desire more yarn, even knowing this. The projects inspire me. Debbie Stoller's books are really well done: trendy and informative.

Class card for Schoolhouse Yoga: Re-committing myself to yoga this year is a very good plan. I feel more in my own skin just thinking about it, not to mention the bits of time that I've been carving out for this on a daily basis. I haven't done many formal yoga classes over the years, now feels like the right time to start a new habit.

yoga props: blocks, bolsters, straps. I got a book from a client years ago that's all about yoga as relaxation. In my younger years I scoffed at the very thought, but now it's getting much more attractive. Relaxing utterly into acceptance, yes.

5-day intensive (yoga) course w/Ana Forrest (on CD): at some point I'd like to do a proper yoga teacher training as well, but this would be a good start, and inspiration.

Gift certificates to: Apple store (new computer, monitor) I feel guilty even wanting a new computer, but I'm very paranoid that this one will somehow blow up sometime soon, and I've come to realize how very much I depend on it.
Victoria's Secret: I love their underwear, and their clothes. Having my bra match my underpants gives me a deep and abiding pleasure. What can I say?
Target: So much I love, it makes me forget that they're more Red than Blue.
Barnes & Noble: Thankfully more Blue than Red, and one can never ever *ever* have too many books.
Starbuck's: Ah, mochas. Though why O Why! did they have to get rid of that nummy Cinnamon Dolce Latte? I love the consistency at Starbuck's: the mocha I get around the corner is the same mocha I got in Cambridge, England, and it's yummy.
Aveda: Nice products, environmentally conscious. That's important to me. And they smell good.

Jon Stewart's America, the book: Should've gotten it when it was on sale, but I couldn't justify getting it for myself. So sexy, so funny, such lovely politics has our Jon.

Kevin Ancuin books: I rarely wear makeup, but I might be more inspired if I had these books lying around. I obsessively page through them in the bookstore. I'm very sad that this beautiful young man died too soon.

memberships to: zoo, Phipps, Carnegie Museums. I've almost done the zoo membership twice this year, but both times we went I had just enough to get us in, not quite enough for the membership. We had some of these when my daughter was a toddler, it was a great escape to get away to the museum. We'd have a different kind of fun with them now that she's older.

Summer camp tuition for my daughter: My freedom for the summer. I've paid for one camp, mostly, thus far, and I'm lining up the next couple. I'll just keep pulling money out of my butt (also the source for my party funds, and miscellaneous other expenses) until I reach the end of possibility.

hooka: my brother has one of these, and it's very fun, social, and a totally legal way to indulge my shameless occasional oral fixation with smoking.

serger: In my fantasy sewing space my fine Viking sewing machine is in front of me, and a cute little serger is off to the side to whip up the seams. I probably need to figure out where the heck I'd put this thing in reality, but I will. When I do, I'll get a good, inexpensive one and explore new realms of quick-production sewing.

hands-free headset for the phone: I am so tired of my neck and shoulder aching after a long phone conversation with friend or family member. But a good one of these can be quite pricey.

CDs: Rachel Sage, I Am Sam, Lisa McCormick, Dolly Parton, Carole King, The Mavericks, Death Cab for Cutie, Rocky Horror movie soundtrack (& DVD), Aimee Mann, Spoon. I tried to pick artists whose recordings I owned none, to spare people the inconvenience of buying me a CD I already owned (since of this whole list, this seemed the area where I could actually ask for something tangible). In some cases here, also artists whose recording haven't gotten cheap enough on eBay yet. Too new, too trendy.

DVDs: Angel (have all the Buffy, now need all the Angel), Return of the King extended (how in the world do we not own this yet?), Star Wars (might as well have the original set on DVD, my youthful fandom still influences my studio decor, if nothing else. And my daughter likes them, for some reason), Sex in the City 3-6 (I'm still not entirely sure what I think of this series, but I do find it compelling to watch. The characters' personal flaws make me impatient with them sometimes), West Wing (how did I never watch this? And how nice it would be to see it all in a row!), Twin Peaks (classic weirdness--add that weird aliens on drugs movie to this, too--Purple Sky?), Brat Pack 'boxed' set (another example, with my Frye cowboy boots, of still trying to satisfy my teenage self in key ways), Schoolhouse rock (what tunes! what knowledge! Quick--sing the Preamble to the Constitution!), Six Feet Under (We're getting this from Netflix, but that's just too slow. And already there are episodes I want to see again.)

Do you have all that? Now all you have to do is wrap it. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter