Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

07 September 2006

"Day By Day"

A relatively contemporary song for this book, I don't know more than the simple version that they have here, not enough to know whether there is more to this song somewhere. I hope there is, it is pretty catchy, though in this simple form the repetitiveness--in different metres, oooo!--is seductive in its own way. Too low in my range, for today at least, but I did my best.

Bonus folk song: ''I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago", otherwise known, to me at least, as 'Polly Wolly Doodle all the Day' with totally different words. A goofy little song, that really demands some contemporary filky verses. Go to it, y'all.

I've been working most of the last week, it seems, on the Dungeons and Dragons game that I've been involved in. It seems that my life of late is filled with all sorts of interests that have a definite niche-market: no one outside of the people playing this game with me can have any interest in its workings (hey! I'm now playing *both* my current character, and his mother, who's the character that I played in high school--she just gave her son her longbow! They're all going off to rebuild the city!). Knitting is not much better, or the book I'm reading about Confederate reenactors, or Pennsic. I would think and hope that motherhood would give me someone to talk to, but as I've said, most of my close friends aren't even parents, much less parents dressing up in Medieval garb and camping while taking classes about Period Islamic Cooking.

So here I sit, geek in so many ways. It's okay, I think. At least my daughter's in school. And now that Charissa's given Aricin the longbow, she can go back to the woods and learn the names of leaves, keeping in touch with the quest through her sorcerer daughter, Sirith, who's the son of the Elven sorcerer, Braum, who helped the party all those years ago with that thing they did, what was that, let me check my notes and the official timeline, hold on. . .

1 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Kendrah and Corwynne said...

Being a geek is so much better than being boring. From one medieval garb wearing mother to another.

Kendrah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter