Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

06 September 2006

"Look For the Silver Lining"

Have I sung this song before? Wow, there it is, way back in February, and I wrote about Mom and her gun. Times certainly do change, and I feel very old and absent-minded to not have immediately realized that this was a repeat. Ah well. It still doesn't grab me, it feels very utilitarian for a song, does its job, and that's that.

Bonus folk song: I like the fact that I'm starting to realize that folk songs have their own types, very recognizable types. This one, 'Springfield Mountain', has basically two lines to each verse. You sing line one, then some nonsense syllables, sing line one again, different nonsense, sing it a third time with a more far reaching melody and then go right into line two, finish with some more nonsense. It doesn't always have to be nonsense in the middle bits, but it is the repeated part of the song, the chorus spread out within the verse.

Today was still not a stellar day. I know a great, or even a good day is possible, it will occur, but today didn't go so well either. It did start better, with a large mocha that I walked out to get. It will end with red wine, and some down time, so it wasn't all bad. There were even some good bits in the middle. Here's to appreciating what's there.

Kathryn's rules for the road:

Be polite to everyone.
Use your turn signal.
Give the right of way to anyone smaller than you, this includes pedestrians, bikes, etc.
Don't tie up traffic unnecessarily.
Do what you can as an individual to keep things friendly and flowing.

Be warned. Don't honk at me when I'm letting pedestrians through, don't wait and hold up an entire line of traffic while you wait for someone to get groceries in their car and leave. Let people merge, take turns. Unless you're bleeding or dying, or going to someone who is, an extra thirty seconds will not hurt you. Use your turn signal, or I will mow you down with my uzi. Just kidding. Only because I don't have an uzi, actually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter