Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

03 August 2006

"No Man Is An Island"

Boring, slightly martial, hymn-like thing. It doesn't help that I planned to blog on this yesterday, but then things didn't work as planned. Where do these songs come from? Do people still know and sing these?

Bonus folk song: 'The Grey Goose'. Somehow more interesting than the 'main event', even with its nineteen repetitive verses. Mostly that's because the spiritual-style of this piece is much more my cup of tea. If I liked tea. Maybe my cup of hot chocolate.

Today was a great day. Not really in and of itself, only because yesterday was the truly great day that made today possible. Yesterday friends of ours offered to take our dog for the almost two weeks that we're at Pennsic, a nice woman at the yarn shop helped me figure out what to do with the Elsebeth Lavold sweater that I've been working on for over a year, and my husband and I found out that he won't be needing brain surgery this year.

Since I've been freaking out--sometimes very quietly, sometimes my anxiety poking out in sharp, unconnected bits--for the past two months about this expected upcoming surgery, this is very, very good news. I felt so relieved yesterday that I didn't know what to do, besides tell everyone who would care, and apologize for being the 'gal who cried wolf'. Everyone seemed to understand, and they were all very glad that we wouldn't be having another fun surgery experience this fall. Two of my best friends suggested that not only did I not have anything to apologize for, but that I would have been justified in freaking out even more, if I had only let myself.

I'm just glad that for now, we can just live our lives. And maybe the lesson here is that we should just do that anyway. Yes, it is true that it's likely that my husband will need this surgery someday, but not now. If it does happen, when it does happen, we'll handle that in its time. Meanwhile, in its utter normality, in the return of my ability to focus, today was a very good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter