Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

24 July 2006

"He"

Don't. . . make me. . .sing. . . it. . . again. . .

I meant to blog on this song on Saturday or Sunday, but the weekend's plans were changed, and this did not happen, alas. This song is too high, too boring for my tastes. Do with it what you will.

My daughter is away tonight on her first non-family sleepover, she just called to say goodnight. I think my husband and I find this more weird and stressful than she does, though I could be wrong. I did feel like a total dork calling her friend's mother earlier and admitting my own nervousness. I'll be picking her up tomorrow afternoon, after I'm done work. I will actually be able to run tomorrow morning, I can barely fathom it. Waking at my own time, doing what I want when I want (for a few hours, until I go to work): what the hell is that all about?

I grieve, knowing that this is just the beginning. Give it a few years, or more, but the day will come. She'll be off and we'll have no idea where she is: off shopping with her friends, ignoring my calls to her cell phone, showing up at home after her curfew. I know that this will all happen. Right now I'm grateful that she wants to be home more often than not, that she's happy to live with us here, in our home.

That is, when she doesn't want to live in Hershey Park, riding the water rides all day, every day. Who could blame her? Meanwhile, she's designing an amusement park to be built in our front yard. I don't think she'll be leaving for good anytime soon. I'm glad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter