Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

21 July 2006

"His Name Is Wonderful"

This to me is a set piece, a perfect example of a certain style of song. My daughter thought it was silly for having the words repeat over and over again. I found myself needing to explain the benefits of repetition as a form of prayer: 'You know, honey, like when you repeat 'Om'? It's a form of meditation.' As a parent one explains all sorts of things one never imagined having to explain, or in this case, defend. I feel that it behooves me to be clear and as free of prejudice as I can be. But I also did mention that this wasn't really my kind of song, either.

I've decided that I'm going back into therapy (I can hear the collective sigh of relief, don't be shy). I have really enjoyed not being in therapy, taking the old car on the road, test driving her. It is a great feeling to have to rely on my own wits in the moment, and not just save up everything to dissect in my session, which is what I started to do way too often. But there is too much going on, and a paid listener/objective assesser/font of new perspectives would be useful about now. My fabulous piano teacher and pseudo-therapist is away for most of the fall, she won't mind if I funnel that money into other avenues of help. It is interesting that my music teachers tend to play the therapist role in my life.

[Exciting bonus news: I have ripped out and re-started my cousin's daughter's baby blanket again, this is the third try on this thing, and I'm really hoping to get more than three inches done this go-round. Sweet little Emma is over six months old. I console myself with the fact that she lives in Virginia: surely she won't need a baby blanket now until later in the fall? I try not to think about the four other baby afghans that I still hope to make this year. This time I'm knitting the blanket: I've never done that for an afghan. It seems like cheating, but with this wacky boucle yarn I can see the stitches better. There. Now I'm a crazy knitting blogger, too.]

1 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

excuse me, who sings the song you're refering to?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter