Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

04 July 2006

"Dear Hearts and Gentle People"

This song was based on something written on a scrap of paper found in Stephen Foster's pocket, after his death by drinking. I would have preferred to have heard what Mr. Foster was planning to do with it, since this song sucks, though not as badly as other songs have sucked, to be fair. I have shamefully forgotten to mention that the first section in this new book is entitled 'Inspirational Hits of the 30's, 40's, and 50's'.

My husband and I are trying to instill some politeness, kindness, and sensitivity in our seven year old daughter. It's an endless, thankless, exhausting task. I cannot remember being this all-out rude to my parents at this age, that all came later when I spent years screaming and cussing at my father. I did not have the typical daughter-who-hates-her-mother relationship, my poor Dad got all the grief. (We did figure out how to get along in my late-late twenties.) Among my fears is that my daughter will hate me, her Mama, with a passion. I can certainly see glimpses of it now, and the seeming inevitability of it makes me want to cry.

I want to call my parents every day to thank them both for putting up with me, and then my four siblings. It seems like nothing short of a miracle that none of us (including my parents) has turned out to be an ax murder or anything similar. That I know of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter