Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

03 July 2006

"I Believe"

Today we start a brand new songbook, the 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. I know that I originally said that I wouldn't go through this one. Somehow, the vast number of songbooks that I have just wasn't feeling like enough faced with the prospect of running out of material. Sure, I could've gotten more books. In fact, I'm getting more books all the time. I did take a glance at the songs included herein, and decided that I could stomach it, that singing 'God' songs wouldn't kill me, and it might let me face some of my remaining issues around these things. I have long realized that I can make no assumptions about what the world will bring me, very specifically the assumption that that which I have encountered before will rub me the same way again: it ain't always so. Let's see what these have to offer, shall we?

'I believe for every drop of rain that fall, a flower grows.' No. That would just be too many flowers.

'I believe that somewhere in the darkest night, a candle glows.' Duh!

'I believe for everyone that goes astray, someone will come to show the way.' I'm just not sure that it will be a way that has the best interests of the gone-astray one in mind.

'I believe above the storm the smallest prayer will still be heard. I believe that someone in the great somewhere hears every word.' Well, no, I don't believe that. But I understand that some people do. I don't think our differences in opinion on this means that we can't be friends, and make the world a better place to boot.

'Every time I hear a newborn baby cry, or touch a leaf, or see the sky, then I know why I believe!' Yes. These things resonate deep inside of me. I might even call it belief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter