Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

29 June 2006

"Amazing Grace"

A classic, and still an awful lot of fun to sing. Very satisfying. 'Grace', too: how can I quibble about that? I believe in grace, in the gifts of grace, the mystery of grace. Grace: Go you. Jolly good.

I'm still in the thick of job-love, enjoying the physics of Thai massage, letting that spur me on to a bit of anatomy review, all my massage skills influencing each other across disciplines; through it all very much appreciating the mystery of the body, and the satisfaction of knowing that I do something valuable to ease an individual's presense in their own skin. What would I do if I won the lottery (supposing, of course, that I played, ever)? Would I give up my job, loving it as I do? That's hard to imagine, I keep thinking of the things I love about my work, the things I would miss very much.

Reframe the question: if money were no object, and for kicks and giggles, let's say I could set up some fantasy life for myself, what would it be?

Music. Singing in close harmony with people I liked, men and women. Dancing. More singing, great joy in the music sharing. Playing guitar, mandolin, piano. My husband playing the dij. Hand drums at night, around a fire, more dancing. Deep quiet, under the stars, a big sky. Cool air of night, magickally mosquito-free. Waking up to sing in the day, hands to the sun. It's a festival-need, I realize, and I do miss it.

My voice teacher assured me that I could make money singing, if I wanted that, but it's not so much wanting the money or fame. I want the music. I want that high. It's something that just not so fun on my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter