Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

07 June 2006

"Galway Bay"

The blurb here states that this song is right up there with 'Danny Boy' as a famous Irish rallying song, but I've never heard this one before. It's also not quite so interesting, melodically, as 'Danny Boy', though I might have to hear it performed by someone who does have a bit o' the Irish in him or her to really understand and judge.

Today I was feeling lucky. Lucky to have so many wonderful people in my life, and very, very lucky to have so many of them come and celebrate my birthday with me. I'm lucky to feel this good at the 'far advanced' age of forty, to feel content in my own skin. I'm also lucky to have a job I love, a husband I love, an incredible daughter who brings me much joy. Moreover, I'm feeling that based on limited time and money resources, I'm doing pretty darn well at this point: I'm taking care of myself, I enjoy my life, I don't take any of these blessings for granted. So here I am, doing the geeky dance of joy. There are certainly worse things to be doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter