Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

27 June 2006

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

'Carousel', the musical that this song hails from, is horrible. I could also say 'horribly dated', but that would be a vast understatement. It forgives spousal and child abuse as an act of love, and that's just too hard to swallow. Years ago my friend, Kellee, and I watched the movie, and made a sacred vow to never again see it. Then, I still liked this song. Now, I'm not so sure. The soaring melody still moves me: it's better than a hymn and chock-full of emotional weight. But now the text doesn't ring so true: do I really believe that there's a light at the end of every storm? Is this the same as asking me to believe in an after-life?

I do believe in having a moral code, but I'm skeptical that there is a Divine Being out there somewhere, or even 'in here' somewhere, who knows my name, who would answer my prayers to win the lottery or get home safely, who cares about my choices in sensual preference. I also don't believe that it's important that I believe in 'God/dess'. On the alternate days I choose to entertain the idea, I visualize my Deity to be like me, but much cooler, much more of what I aspire to be, if I suddenly had super powers. She's wearing cool colors, comfortable fabrics, she has infinite wisdom, she laughs, she touches with affection. We hang out sometimes.

What is important is that I lead a good life. I believe absolutely that what I put into the world is directly related to what I receive back. I believe that self-consideration and mindfulness will lead me to be aware of my actions, and that this is the first step to improving my relationships in the world. I believe that small goodnesses and small bad deeds will both get bigger, like ripples in a pond. I believe that it behooves me to continually expand my horizons, while keeping my boundaries intact: they may move and alter, but I'm happiest when I know where I live inside my own skin and being. I know that it's more fun to choose my own symbol set, to have fun with it, to be in love with the myths I have chosen to guide my life. Things that bring greater love, understanding, laughter, or music to dance to are always worth choosing, all else being equal.

And 'when all else fails, there's always food.' Words to live by.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter