Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

06 July 2006

"Somebody Bigger Than You and I"

Somehow this song was rather nice. I keep looking at the title, and I can't see how this could be so, but it is. Though I did not know this song before today, it has the feel of a beloved old song from days as a kid at camp. I did, in my personal world, hate my one camp experience, but I still have good memories of the music.

Lately it seems that I have too many days where I feel like crying most of the day. If money weren't so tight I would be thinking this was a sign that I should go back into therapy, which would frankly feel like a vacation: an hour a week talking to another adult. I'm not getting enough grown-up time, and there are too many stresses in my life right now. My head aches from trying to cope with them all. I'm needing computer game time, which is not altogether bad, but the extended desire is usually not a good sign, either.

I still plug away, most days. That's one benefit of adulthood: much coping practice. I can feel like shit all day long and still be polite, patient, and productive. I don't take that for granted, since I firmly believe that all of those things are an integral part of the grease of the gears of life. The smoother that the details of life go, the better able we are to cope with the need for careful work and planning, as well as actual emergencies. When the details are dealt with adequately, there is more time for relaxation, the reading of well-written escapist novels, computer games, and napping. Life can indeed still be good, even with stress singing its loud descant over everything else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter