Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

05 July 2006

"How Great Thou Art"

I just realized today that, not knowing much music in this genre, I get this song confused with 'His Eye Is On the Sparrow'. I kept waiting for that verse to come along, and it didn't, and it turns out it's a totally different song. Who knew! Maybe you! Moving right along. . .

My voice teacher, Beth, has encouraged me several times to do some God-thing: sign my daughter up for the very inexpensive Bible camp at her church, or come to services and sing some praise music with her choir. She isn't a born again sort of person, she's an ex-hippie with very liberal views, and I don't think she's trying to convert me to anything. For one thing, she doesn't know that there's anything to convert: our friendship hasn't gotten that far, yet. I haven't brought it up, I slide around the issue when it comes up.

I have other friends who know darn well that I am not a 'God-girl'. My dear friend, Zoey, who is so much of what I want to be when I grow up, is one of these. She is unafraid, interested, trying new things, while enriching her life with the old tried and true, dear-to-her-heart things. She's a mom, a writer, a tango dancer, and she looks fabulous. And she wants me to come to church and sing. She knows what I believe, we've had discussions about God as male-figure and the multitudinous problematic issues therein, if one happens to be a woman. I politely refuse her invitations, the lure of fabulous music has not been enough in a very long time, not when I cannot commit to the words I am singing. Every so often, though, she invites me again. I don't take offense.

I do believe that music is twice the prayer that the words are on their own. I take such joy in music: when it's good it is very very good. I believe that my words are powerful when I speak only the truth as I understand it, when I can commit utterly to what I say, again and again. I have not perfected this in my life by any means, but I make the attempt, it is in my daily consciousness.

As I am ok with not knowing things, I am also very ok with not revealing all of myself in a rush to a new friend. I believe that I will have the time that I need, that opportunities to share come when there is a need for them. If all is not revealed--ever--this is ok, too. I do think that I will tell Beth at some point sooner rather than later. It's a test that I hope I pass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter