Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

06 August 2006

"Anyone Can Move A Mountain"

A classic, really. Ok: no. I'm split on this one: it doesn't totally suck, and it's a little catchy. But the title's a bit cliched. You decide. I'm not sure I'm up for mountain moving today, at least, but I'm satisfied with what I've gotten done, mind you.

Bonus folk selections: 'Mister Rabbit', which has that spiritual quality that I just love: 'Yes, bless God, been gittin' outta sight!' Ah! Very nice. Also: 'Old Blue', a classic dog song, which reminds me of our beagle, Buford. I'm trying to not have that ruin this song for me. I really like learning this new-old stuff, the folk songs fill me up as the other book, at this point, cannot.

So about six weeks ago, or so, I got a scroll in the mail. Not a usual occurence, for me, or anyone I know, really. I saw the tube, and knew that I wasn't expecting anything this shape from my crazy eBay purchases (these days mostly consisting of old music books, never mailed in tubes). I opened the tube, and pulled out a linen roll, sealed with multiple wax seals. When I opened this, breaking the rose-embossed seal, I found a canvas scroll, wrapped artistically in multi-colored ribbons, wooden dowels on the ends. I thought: wedding invitation? some other momentous life-event? The scroll had a calligraphic text, in a very small font, with an elaborate medieval-type drawing at the bottom. I got a third of the way down, with my suspicions, before I recognized the names of my high school D&D group characters. I had been invited to join a game.

I hadn't played Dungeons and Dragons in twenty three years, and the system has changed quite a bit since my day. Even back then, I was the token girl who didn't take it very seriously, always wanting the talking chicken in the campaign and such. This, though, was my dear friend, Paul's partner's fortieth birthday present to all of us: Ken would be the Dungeon Master for an online game that would include all of the original players (plus one), playing the descendents of the characters we played oh-so-many years ago. I could only accept.

Still, I haven't played D&D in quite a while. My gaming was more in the CCG (collectible card game) and board game realm, which I embraced quite heartily for a few years. Now, I would have to learn a new system, and I wasn't up to it. Luckily, everyone so far has been very patient, and it is acknowledged that we are not teenagers any more, not able to devote hours of each day to this pursuit. Still, I've been a bit overwhelmed.

But now (thanks to Paul and Ken), my character sheet is fully filled out, with not only my abilities, alignment, race, and class; but also my feat, skills, spells, weapons, and other assorted critical information. I have also successfully posted to the online quest (after some technical difficulties) and this, further, has spurred me on to Chat Online for the very first time. I am no longer a virgin in this IM realm.

Truly, this old dog can pick up old tricks, and learn new. Fear not, brethren, I will stride ahead, wielding my bow, singing my song merrily before. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter