Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

27 October 2005

"Night and Day"

Cole Porter at last! This wasn’t one of the songs that I had in mind, but nonetheless, it’s quite nice. Rhythmically nicely complex, with three against two bits, contrasting with more ‘straight’ sections, just my style. I like learning songs like this, where I sort of knew it before, but now I have a chance to learn it more specifically, more correctly. This being the Reader’s Digest version, though, I realize that with most of these songs there are probably several other verses out there that I could learn. Maybe later I could go through and look up the extra verses for the ones that are my favorites.

One last note on the song: it says in the written introduction that it was ‘created to fit the limited singing range of Fred Astaire’, and I never would have guessed, since the range doesn’t feel particularly limited to me, it’s over an octave. But maybe I need to know more about Cole Porter and/or Fred Astaire to know what they meant by this. I think we may have this movie (Gay Divorce), it’d be nice to see it in context as well.

Today I feel very stuck on technicalities, rather than romantic or sweeping philosophical issues. My last few days have felt relatively non-stop from morning until late at night, and the next four days or so don’t promise to be any better. I’m still feeling good about life; I thrive, to a certain extent, on having my life be more structured and busy. On days when I have nothing to do--rare, of late--I need to make up a strict schedule in order to accomplish anything. And I do like to accomplish.

Night and Day? It’s all a blur. I remember that there was ‘Day’, and that the trees are really colorful, finally, but this week has been more about the literally dark side of things, as in lack of sun. I always forget how very hard this loss of daylight is. Another technicality, I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter