Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

23 October 2005

"Embraceable You"

Maybe I just like Gershwin, because I am sure loving this song, too. And yesterday's song (also Gershwin, if you're just tuning in) I sang again today, and that's a first. These songs feel well composed, really beautiful and fun to sing to boot.

Last night I did an evening 5K race, in costume, and that was all fun. Even in the cold rain. Really! I was smiling, it was just nice to be out, and moving, and it felt so fall-like, this is very much my favorite season.

But the best thing about the evening was the musical entertainment. I heard the singing as I approached the packet pick-up area, and I thought, I know this voice. And what do you know, it was an old acquaintence, Brad Yoder, singing beautifully to a very non-enthusiastic crowd. I hadn't heard him sing in a while, since, frankly, I just don't get out much in the evenings to entertainment events. He really sounded great. So instead of sitting in my nice dry, potentially warm car while waiting for the race to begin, I stood around and listened to Brad. And not only is Brad a great singer, he has this solid songwriting talent. I grabbed my checkbook and bought all the different CDs that he had available--again, I haven't gotten out much in recent years, so I'm embarassed to say that the latest recording of his that I had was on tape. I did get a chance to say hello, too, which was nice. He had seen me in the albeit small audience and waved earlier, always a thrill to have 'the band' know you.

Somehow, I am surrounded by music these days, and very aware of it. And it's not a mystery, really, I've just kept opening doors, and creating windows in my life these past few years for music to come in, and so I'm playing piano (alone and with others), taking voice lessons, leading others in singing, hearing my husband and daughter work on their music, getting more CDs of late, even (and of different genres and performers), writing this wacky sing-along blog, and there it is: Life Full of Music. If I would have dreamed this, I'd probably have dreamed something very different, more dramatic, more predictable in a way (Kathryn writes songs, records an album at home, plays at open mikes and coffee houses to a dozen friend-fans). This is more integrated into the whole of my life, and it is very good. In some ways a it's also a lot of work, but it is a joyful work, a pleasure.

In one of my previous relationships my partner's father would play guitar or banjo and sing after dinner every day, and I was in love with that. I don't do that exactly, but one of the three of us, if not more, plays piano every day. And if I'm not writing songs yet, I feel more sure that I will again, and this, here, is part of the process that will lead me there. I will write songs from this place, and I'm hoping that they speak truth in text, melody, and harmony, half so well as the singer songwriters that I admire. And other unknown, unimaginable opportunities will continue to come in through my open windows. I look forward to the musical adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter