Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

21 October 2005

"Happy Days Are Here Again"

Here's one that most people know, I think. Or that I know, at least. Perky, happy, New Year's Eve theme song. And I'm especially happy, since it was a three page song that comes directly before the next section of tunes! Yahoo! Nothing against the 'Memory Lane' section, but I'm looking forward to singing something a little different.

Tonight I watched 'The Life Aquatic' with my husband, and I didn't get it, or like it. I do like some fairly quirky movies, including 'Moulin Rouge', 'Buckaroo Bonzai', 'Big Trouble in Little China', 'Rocky Horror', 'Liquid Sky'--maybe it's that I haven't seen many movies at all this past few years or more. I'm always too beat to stay up very late, and frankly, I usually don't want to watch anything that requires too much of my attention (for example, nothing that requires me to look up very often from my knitting). Watching movies for me is real down time, in the worst sense, since I'm very big on the 'be accomplishing something at every moment you're awake' idea. Though somehow I can lose myself in a book and not feel too guilty about it, a movie seems a bit too easy, too lazy. I do have this idea that I will spend my retirement, presuming that I have such a thing, watching lots of movies that I never got around to. Also going to live music concerts, and learning to play the cello. I do realize that most likely, of course, I'll work until that's no longer possible. I'm thinking Starbucks, for the beverages, or possibly Pottery Barn, for the employee discount. Happy days, indeed, eh?

I'm going to cut this a little short tonight, I burned my hand making cookies this evening (another wild and crazy Friday night at my house!), and unless I keep the ice on it it's killing me. Typing with one hand is no fun anymore.

1 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All time movie favorites:

1. Moulin ROuge (we share that)
2. Kill Bill vol. 2
3. Life Aquatic
4. Kill Bill vol.1
5. Meet me in St. Louis - a controversial choice, I know, narrowly edging out American in Paris.

The artifice you find unbearable in 'Aquatic', I find allows the raw emotions to be exposed. Precisely and explicitly. It puts those emotions into a context, or rather it pulls them out of the happenstance context of our usual interactions.

Same true for Ricky Grevais in 'The Office'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter