Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

13 October 2005

"I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover"

First, this is very disconcerting because I keep thinking of the version that goes "I'm looking over my dead dog, Rover". Different, indeed, and some nice imagery there. I also discovered that I didn't quite have the rhythm of this one down correctly, though that's easy enough to fix. But this song also makes no sense, lyrically: "I'm looking over a four leaf clover that I overlooked before. One leaf is sunshine, the other is rain, third is the roses that grow in the rain. No use explaining, the one remaining is somebody I adore. I'm looking over a four leaf clover that I overlooked before." Now, what does that mean? Why is this clover overlooked, and what exactly is he seeing in it now, and why?

So I have this image of a dead dog, and this dolt skipping through a field, perhaps tripping over said dog, and ending up chin in the mud, staring raptly at a clover. I think he has a concussion, he's certainly not making much sense in this moment.

Oooo, sunshine, rain, pretty flowers. . . mommy?

I just can't get this out of my head. I apologize. I'll do better tomorrow.

And I worried about writing good songs. Ha! Profundity be damned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter