Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

06 October 2005

"I Wonder What's Become of Sally?"

I don't think I ever sang this song at all, never even tried it out. I do know that there are songs beyond this point in the book that I know, and like, but maybe I just got tired of songs about girls at some point, is my guess. There's a icky gooey romanticization of women that happens fairly often, thus far. Wandering through tulips with that sweet, only girl down memory land in Avalon. . . are all love songs like this? The red wine this evening (ah, red wine, are you with me on the red wine, binky? Has anyone but me, and them, been following binky and andrew in their comments?) has blurred me a little, and I don't think I can even think of a contemporary love song. How about one of mine. . . ok, I guess I didn't write any really typical love songs, but that doesn't mean anything. So what if I wrote one of my best songs about my teddy bear?

I'm recommending 'Eats, Shoots, and Leaves' to everyone right now (but I might buy it for you for Christmas, so be careful). It's all about correct use of punctuation, and don't think I'm not occassionally in anguish here over whether I've used the correct punctuation in this blog, the correct spelling. Argh! Read the book, it's amazingly fun and entertaining. And 'The Time Traveler's Wife', which is disturbing in all sorts of ways, and has stuck with me in the corners of my head. I'm not a fan of disturbing books, but the romance of this one sucked me right in, and I have to say, it still didn't disappoint me in the end.

So I guess that I won't be able to write profound things every night, (maybe not any night), but stick with me, gentle reader (I have so always wanted to write that). I have these ideas throughout the day of what I'll write about, inspired by my song title, and then I write about something else entirely, and in a good way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter