Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

28 September 2005

"Avalon"

When I was a child music was the thing I loved most. I played clarinet in school, I taught myself basic keyboard skills (and flute, and guitar), but more than all these, I loved to sing. I would walk home from school--down an unpaved, one lane, dirt road in the woods--singing at the top of my voice. I made up songs, sang what I pleased, and if any of the few neighbors heard, they never let on to me, at least.

I wasn't exactly discouraged from music making, but I was made to understood very clearly that music was not a 'money maker', and that it was better relegated to hobby-status in my life. Of course then I pursued music all I could, even into college, though there, at least, I gave a nod to money making by initially double majoring with computer science.

And, of course, music is not a money maker, for most people. I have no particularly fantastic voice, though it isn't usually painful to hear it. It's more that people with fine singing voices who can carry a tune are a dime a dozen, and it takes more than the voice itself to 'make it'. And moreover, I didn't really want to 'make it' in music, as much as I wanted to sing, for the pure joy of it. I wanted to make music with others. I wanted to be the kid in the bandroom playing Styx's 'Come Sail Away', while everyone sang along, which surely dates me.

And here I am now, married with child, with a totally other career, and taking up playing piano and singing again after long hiatus. Ok, it's not as though I haven't sung a note in 10 years, but after half heartedly exploring outlets for music for this long while, I'm taking voice lessons, and applying myself to overcoming any crazy issues I have with letting my voice be heard, whatever that means. So here goes.

"Avalon": schmaltzy, hits my high range in any awkward spot. Still, based on a Puccini aria from Tosca, it's worth knowing. It'd make a good tango song, too.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello:
I'll be following this blog with interest. I don't know the song Avalon, perhaps I'll hear you sing it around the house one day.

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere sweetie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter