Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

24 October 2005

"S'Wonderful"

Ok, this is a whole Gershwin group. But this one is not a favorite of mine. It's ok, it just doesn't grab me like the last two did. I've been listening to a little Cole Porter lately, and I'm hoping that he's represented here somewhere, because his stuff is so great, so classic. I guess we'll see.

Tonight I had a run-in with my crazy neighbors that has got me thinking about courtesy. I think, are these crazy neighbors rude because they're young and self-absorbed? Was I that self-absorbed at that age? Well, yes. But I don't think I was deliberately rude, at least most of the time, and I made an effort to be friendly.

I make more of an effort now, in a selective way. I want to be polite at all times, to all people, and not un-friendly to anyone, though I'm clear about setting my boundaries. I have so many dear people in my life that I am not willing to spend my time unthinkingly with just anyone. But it's a constant balancing act, because I also still make new friends, and I want my perceptions to be open to that possibility--though it's also nice to not feel a pressure to widen my circle too quickly. It can be especially nice to see relationships grow slowly over time, blossoming in ways that I would not have guessed at their onset.

But even more important for my quality of life, on most days, is those small courtesies, given and received. Usually to grocery check out clerks, and the drivers of other cars, I find. People smiling at me, and letting me merge into traffic, can make my day, literally. And knowing that, I make an effort to be friendly, even with just a smile, even when I'm feeling oh-so-less-than-stellar, to everyone I encounter. It doesn't seem to take much at all, and most of the people I smile at I don't even speak to, but it makes me feel better. I know that having a stranger smile at me can do the same.

I'll keep smiling at my neighbors, and hope that eventually they grow up into courteous adults and good neighbors. I'm not holding my breath, mind you, but I will smile.

1 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may smile at them, but I will set the full force of societal dissaproval on them. Startingt with city environmental services, moving up to the zoning board, and ending with multiple police complaints.
Or maybe, like the Buddha would do, I'll just knock on their door and tell them what a couple of assholes they have become.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter