Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

25 October 2005

"Someone to Watch Over Me"

Yet another lush and lovely Gershwin. I could live here for a long time, indeed. And have I mentioned that these are lovely piano arrangements, as well? Short, of course (this is Reader's Digest), but one could add on more verses at another time. Just lovely, this one. I don't know if it's the melody, or text plus melody, or what, but these are such a pleasure to sing.

Someone to watch over me. I would love to be taken care of. Pampered, spoiled, extravagently gifted with trinkets and furbelows. Of course, I am also an oldest child, and woman, and mother, and massage therapist, and my drive is to not ask for help, and to take care of everyone else to the best of my ability and available energy. Being taken care of is absolutely not a given. What am I, lazy, or what? I don't think so.

In past years my dear friend, Jamie, and I have gone spa-ward in the winter cold months. Just for a weekend, and we don't do much spa-stuff, mostly just stay at the resort, eat well, hike the trails, shop a little, soak in the hot tub, drink the fabulous wine that Jamie's boyfriend always send along. But we do get away for that one weekend. It does feel marvelous.

Sometimes I wish I were more high maintenance, or, I guess, that people were accustomed to me being high maintenance, and loved me anyway. But I'm not.

And I do love taking care of my family and friends, when and as I can. Again, I wish I were better at it, but I make the effort, and it has some success. Recently I was reminded of the fact that it is indeed a pleasure to take care of someone who is fully capable of taking care of themselves, it's a love gift, then. When someone can't take care of themselves, it becomes a burden, sooner rather than later.

So don't worry folks, I'm good for now. But if you're in the mood for spoiling me, ever, just give me a little heads up. I'll try to be ready, and able, to let you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter