Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

26 October 2005

"Fascinating Rhythm"

Ok, I didn't cheat, but since this was a three-pager, I do know that this is, I assume, the last Gershwin piece. Also not one of my favorites, but still fun. It's nice to know more of it than just the title hook. (I also know the next song, but I'm not telling.)

I'm not sure that I have anything to say today that bears the slightest resemble to the song in question.

Let's try this, and maybe it'll just be short and sweet for today: Life, right now, is pretty good. I know that this won't last, entirely. Something will occur to make me feel off balance, out of control, in over my head, even just tired. But right now, things are ok, and more than ok. I know that this doesn't happen very often, and that there is no predicting it. When my check out person asks how I am, I tell the truth, briefly. It's nice when I can honestly say, "I'm doing very well, thank you."

I don't often believe in a personally concerned deity, but I do give thanks when I feel like this. If the envelope of my gratitude is a little vaguely addressed, I'm sure that the deity who needs to receive it, somehow, will.

2 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinating rhythm, you got me on the go, fascinating rhythm, I'm all a-quiver...

Or something like that. I had to memorize it for our 7th grade spring show. And our next door neighbor, Irene, a really sweet old lady, let me wear her green taffeta gown from (what year was that written? the 20s).

Nice memory, even if my singing still sucks.

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a mess you're making, the neighbors want to know, why I'm always shaking, just like a fliver...?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter