Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

04 October 2006

"Smile"

Well, there's the pros and the cons. I've played and sung this song at least three, different, non-consecutive days. I do like it--and surprisingly, I still like it. The piano part was a bit challenging, and I got it a bit more into my hands by day three. Smile: it's a bittersweet thing. I'm guilty of smiling when I'm not so happy at all. This isn't all bad, and pertinently it reminds me of a recent Slate Podcast concerning the 'evils' of too many folks trying to be funny. I see it this way: the world is a very painful place lately, if one pays attention to the news. When offered the choice between laughter and tears, I will choose to laugh. Crying seems to take longer, and I have trouble giving myself permission to wholeheartedly give it to it. I remember being very proud, or some relation to proud, when I learned to cry again in college. As a bitter and cynical teenager I gave it up as oh so boring for many years. Maybe I still haven't gotten over that deep rooted belief.

Now, when I'm done laughing, I move on and try to plug away at the tasks that need my attention. There are worse ways to cope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter