Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

24 September 2006

"Climb Ev'ry Mountain"

A very operatic number, but I think I can carry it off, as if I were, indeed, an old nun. Certainly it sounds like a lot of work, climbing every mountain, but I suspect that that's what I do sometimes, or attempt to do. Still hitting the ground running, still a blur to the naked eye, but I am working to take better care of myself.

I've been looking at a bunch of photos on my computer, thinking that I surely need to edit this huge batch, or at least back them all up on CDs. Printing some of them out for perusal in a non-digital fashion would also be fabulous.

I look at each photo, and it is so difficult to throw out any that have the least bit of merit. I'll toss the unfocused, the eyes-closed, but anything else always has some bit of humanity, of detail of form or figure that I'd like to remember. When the pictures are very pretty is it pleasurable, that view is no less of an accurate one, but it is the not-so-perfect shots that touch my heart so often.

This is my grand experienment of the day: Can I successfully upload a picture? This is my recent felting project--and don't get on me with the technicalities about how this is actually not felting, you know what I mean, I hope. I find felting so magical. Something is shapeless, and then you throw it in the wash, and it becomes something very different in texture and form. Just amazing. These are shots of a knitted market bag that I made, in a computer-savy fashion, with yarn bought off eBay and using a pattern from knitty.com. Very satisfying. I ran out of yarn towards the end, and couldn't get more (Rowan Magpie, no longer made, too much trouble to search for it), so I used a skein of Noro Kureyon in a coordinating colorway, and it worked. Yahoo!

Look, this actually works, too! Pictures on my blog! It sure doesn't take a lot to impress myself these days. My daughter could probably do this blindfolded, I suspect, even with no experience.

2 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This song... my sister always sings it to be funny, and especially to people on family vacations who are acting like cranky pants and not putting forth effort to join in. I can't think of it seriously, I always hear her voice.

As to yarn... I made the expedition to the farmers' market in the rain on Saturday, only to find that among the third of "farmers" who didn't show up were the yarn people. Bah!

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I am back for more. In case you run out of projects, there is always this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter