Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

04 January 2007

"Daddy Sang Bass"

This is one of those songs that I only know by the title tune, with the addition of 'Mama sang tenor'. I think I liked it better that way. But, still, there is the draw of the family feeling of the song: being with my family--my husband and daughter, or my siblings and parents--is one of the greatest pleasures in my life. And if we all sang together!! I would never want to leave. As it is, my brothers always laughed at my singing. And at my dancing. And at what I wore. I'm really glad that I'm not a teenager anymore, and more glad that they aren't, either.

I haven't written at all in my personal journal in the last year, not since New Year's Day 2006. My goal was to again write on January 1st of this year, reviewing the year, setting down new and improved resolutions: but this did not come to pass. I am still catching up, always catching up. My friend, Jackie, suggested keeping my projects down to ten, or so. I balked at the very thought, even while acknowledging the supreme wisdom of such restraint.

I do know that I need to write, again, still, either here, or in my journal, and much preferably both. I also need to do some of those other projects: the things that please me, the things that make my home and family life easier or more beautiful, the things that deepen my connections to my friends and the larger world around me. There have been brief moments in this past year where I feel that I've almost acheived some sort of balance, some sort of sense, as I consider all these parts of my life. Here's hoping that I continue to locate that narrow edge, with grace, attention--and more than a dollop of humor when I fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter