Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

14 June 2010

'The Sun At High Noon'

The sun at high noon, the stars in dark space,
The light of the moon on each upturned face,
The high clouds, the rain clouds, the larksong on high:
We gaze up in wonder above to the sky.

The green grassy blade, the grasshopper's sound,
The creatures of shade that live in the ground,
The dark soil, the moist soil, where plants spring to birth:
We look down at wonder below in the earth.

The glad joys that heal the tears in our eyes,
The longings we feel, the light of surprise,
Our night dreams, our day dreams, our thoughts ranging wide:
We live with a whole world of wonder inside.

text: Sydney Henry Knight, music by Thomas Benajmin

A beautiful sweeping waltz, very nice.

Thinking a lot about my failing brain, and watching it as best I can from the dubious perspective of within. I hope against hope that my inability to find words, to order them correctly, to speak as I mean to--I hope that all of this is somehow temporary. When I get enough sleep, when my schedule isn't so crazy, when I finally complete menopause, when my daughter goes to college, surely at some point my brain will feel like it used to, surely? Whenever I see my 93 year old grandmother I marvel at how quick she still is, only brief paused to line up the synapses, perhaps. I can't imagine that I will make it another 50 years, or even 20, and be able to do the same. And certainly not to say it. Still hoping, though.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter