Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

21 September 2007

"I Brought My Spirit to the Sea"

This text is by Max Kapp:

I brought my spirit to the sea; I stood upon the shore.
I gazed upon infinity, I heard the waters roar.
And then there came a sense of peace, that whisper calmed my soul.
Some ancient ministry of stars had made my spirit whole.

I brought my spirit to the trees that loomed against the sky.
I touched each wand'ring careless breeze to know if God was nigh.
And then I felt an inner flame that fiercely burned my tears.
Upright, I rose from bended knee to meet the asking years.

The song has stuck in my head for the last few days that I've been attempting to blog it. It does feature two of the things in nature that I find particularly sacred: the ocean, and trees. Trees: always a mystery and a magnificence--how do they manage to grow so big, survive so many storms? I do love the trees. The ocean calms me, grounds me with its watery charm. I don't live near the ocean, have never lived close enough to live with it year round, but I'm a better person when I can spend time with the ocean at least yearly. Another plus for this song: I'm quite fond of the image that the last line brings to my head: Meeting the asking years, body in motion, something brave and beautiful moving forward in time to meet the mystery.

This morning I got to sing with a choir that I wasn't leading. I got to sing soprano, and sometimes a harmony line (the absolute best of both worlds). I got to sing things that I didn't choose, didn't have to lead or teach. And they were great! New stuff that I was happy to learn, familiar songs in powerful arrangements, sung by people who could sing, and men, and everything. It felt like Christmas. Sometimes, it truly doesn't take a lot to make me very very happy.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter