Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

18 September 2007

"Down the Ages We Have Trod"

A very traditional sounding title, there, but the text to this one reads a little differently, touching on the different views of God that Unitarians hold, acknowledging that the primary search is for what we hold sacred. The melody is less inspirational than the last one, but it is still good practice to sing it, especially coming off a cold, working through the gunk, as I am.

I am a cynic in many ways. I am pessimistic in my views of men and women interacting in society, the future of our planet and environment, and I am a worrier on a personal level relating to all my beloved friends and family. This may not qualify me for membership in the Cynic Society of America, but it does pain me to have this knee jerk negative reaction to some things. I was 'raised' to believe that this is, if not a cardinal sin, certainly a Very Bad Thing To Do. One's responses in any given situation should be based on that present moment, given thought or intuitive impetus. I think that the sorry of my ageing is that I am so often overwhelmed with my life that I find myself unable to think in the present. I suspect that I still do so a little more often than the average Jane, given the gift of my coming of age years, but it still grieves me to not be fully present in all my decisions. The solution to this might be to practice my mindfulness, to meditate on some regular basis. I would love to have this be part of my daily routine, along with running, and doing the incredibly boring abdominal strengthening exercises, and taking care of my daughter and my home, and working, and the music that feeds me.

I'll work on fitting that meditation thing right in, right before or after I do my nails. Uh huh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter