Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

07 June 2010

"O Life That Maketh All Things New"

O Life that maketh all things new,
the blooming earth, our thoughts within,
our pilgrim feet, wet with dew,
in gladness hither turn again.

From hand to hand the greeting flows,
from eye to eye the signals run,
from heart to heart the bright hope glows.
The seekers of the light are one.

One in the freedom of the truth,
one in the joy of paths untrod,
one in the soul's perennial youth,
one in the larger thought of God.

The freer step, the fuller breath,
the wide horizon's grander view,
the sense of life that knows no death,
the Life that maketh all things new.

text: Samuel Longfellow (younger brother of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and a Unitarian minister), music by Thomas Williams

Today is one of the days where I'm relatively sure that I am dying. It feels as if a plug has been pulled out of my belly and down the drain goes all my energy. I checked my blood pressure at the grocery store and it was fine, but that machine can't tell me if I'm dying.

I probably don't appear to be dying. Last night over dinner I was talking about how anxious I often feel, and my friends said that I don't appear to be very anxious at all. This is good to know, because that kind of neediness is not what I'm after. I have things to do. No time for being anxious, or for dying, I need to keep moving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter